Apr 8, 2013

I'll do it tomorrow....

Procrastinate - v.
To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness.
To postpone or delay needlessly.


I don't want to write this post right now.  In fact, It will probably sit in my drafts for a week or so
until I'm in the mood to write something.  
I've got a lot of sitting around doing nothing that I need to get back to.

I don't even know why I am such a bad procrastinator considering how good it feels to get
things accomplished.  I took to google for some tips on getting motivated and thought I'd share my findings with anyone else who's in the same boat I am.

Photo by David LaChapelle

1. Don't overthink it. 
This is the one I'm probably most guilty of.  It could be something as small as calling to cancel
a magazine subscription. (I kept a subscription for 5 years simply because I kept putting of calling to cancel.  I didn't read one magazine from that service.)
I'd be wanting to start my spring cleaning for weeks but put it off because just the thought of it
overwhelmed me.  The longer you think about it the bigger it gets.  Adding to that, the more you think about it, the more it makes the task seem like a negative thing.
Stop thinking, begin doing

Unknown Source

2.  Give yourself a deadline
I find that I'm more productive towards the end of the day/evening.  Part of that is so Steve doesn't
know I just sat around doing nothing all day (sorry, but it's true) and part because I am not a morning person.  This could be true at work too, if you're more productive after lunch it's not practical
to start something in the morning.  Give yourself a certain time you need something done by and do it!
The guilt I feel after a missed deadline is enough to make me get off my a*s and make sure it
gets done on time next time.

Photo via Laura Burlton

3.  Get rid of distractions
Figure out what it is that you're easily distracted by (computer, phone, ipad, tv, food) and get yourself
away from it!  Turn your phone off, snack before you begin, put e-mail notifications on silent and get your butt in gear!

Source unknown

4. Take baby steps
Sometimes things can seem so big and overwhelming we're left wondering where to even begin!
Take one small step, one tiny little step and that will get you rollin' I promise.  Yard work getting you down? Pull one little weed, and if you're a total freak like me who gets satisfaction out of pulling those little suckers out by their horrible roots, you'll have the whole yard done in no time.  All it takes is that first initial step!


Those are the more helpful tips I've found that apply to me and my life personally.
Anything you've tried that works?? I'm desperate here, ladies.


*Don't forget to enter the $1000 giveaway here.*



2 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

I am a HUGE procrastinator. It was the worst when I was in college. I would wait until like 2 days or 1 day before a huge paper was due and then write the entire thing. I feel like I work better under pressure, though.

Janna Renee said... Reply To This Comment

I feel SO much better when I don't procrastinate! It sucks to put things off and then stress!

Pin It button on image hover